HMS0507 – Fire Safety
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The course aims to give you basic knowledge and skills in how to prevent and limit a potential fire. By the end of the course you know the safest possible response in the event of fire/fire emergency and to feel safe in the workplace.
After completing the course you will have the knowledge of:
- UiOs fire prevention and protection policy and objectives
- The major cause of fire hazards
- Technical fire preventive measures and equipment
- Organizational fire preventive measures and routines
- Proper response in the event of fire
- Practical training in use of fire extinguishers with various media
- New students in all bachelor programs at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science.
- New students in following 5-year Master programs:
- New students in following Master programs:
- Other students taking a course having HMS0507 as a prerequisite.
If you have completed all components of MNHMS0015 – Introduction to Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) (discontinued) you are exempt from HMS0507.
If you previously only completed some sections of MNHMS0015 you will have to complete the parts you have not yet done, that is, either the corresponding e-learning courses (HMS0501 and HMS0502) and/or HMS0507. Further information on transitional arrangements.
The course is taught as a two hour block at the beginning of each semester. Participation is compulsory to pass the course.
If you have been assigned a group with a time that does not suit you, you can change to another group with an available place in StudentWeb.
To pass this course you will need to have approved attendance. You are responsible for registering your attendance.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.
If HMS0507 is a degree requirement or a formal prerequisite for any of the courses in your degree, you will not get your degree approved until you have passed the course.