HMS0506 – Patient Clinic Safety
Please note you cannot take the online test until the day after you have been registered for the course.
Teaching and exams spring 2022
In light of the most recent infection control regulations, we will at the start of the spring semester 2022 increase our online teaching, while we at the same time try to maintain in-person teaching where this is possible. We hope to go back to more in-person teaching later on in the semester. You will be informed about any changes in teaching or examinations on the semester page, in Canvas or through your regular channels.
Read more about postponed exams for the autumn semester 2021.
In this course we will provide you with basic knowledge about the various risks when working in a patient clinic. You will meet different patient groups and work processes. When studying / working in a clinic you will need knowledge of methods and equipment that you need to perform the work in a manner safe to yourself, the patients and your colleagues. Work will in varying degrees lead you in contact with infectious agents, chemicals, radiation and different human behavior.
After completing the course you will be able to consider various risk factors and implement measures to create a safe working environment in a clinic.
After completing the course you should have knowledge of:
- Basic protection from communicable diseases
- Put in place suitable protective measures to protect from communicable diseases
- How to treat infectious waste
- Where to find information about personal protective gear
- Which medical instruments in a clinic that can cause radiation damage
- How to assess the risk of radiation
- How to find information on protection against radiation damage
- Introduction on how to act when patients are behaving in a physically or verbally threatening manner
- What to do if you encounter an incident in a clinic
- How to report incidents
Admission to the course
The course is compulsory for:
- Students taking a course having HMS0506 as a prerequisite
- New students in the following bachelor's programme:
- New students in the following 5-year master's programmes:
- New students at following the programme of professional study:
The course is an individual online course. The course is available on a smart phone, PC, Mac or tablet. You can access the online course here: https://ehms.uio.no/#/6/en
You need to be registered for the course and exam in Student Web to complete the online digital exam.
The online course includes an oline digital exam that you need to pass, to pass the course. Please note that you will have to be registered for the course in StudentWeb to complete the exam.
The digital exam is multiple choice and you can take the exam more than once. When you have passed the exam you will receive an email confirming you have passed the course.
If HMS0506 is a degree requirement or a formal prerequisite for any of the courses in your degree, you will not get your degree approved until you have passed the course.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.