MF9130E – Introductory course in statistics
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
The aim of the course is to make the participants acquainted with basic statistical ideas and methods. No special previous knowledge of mathematics or statistics is assumed. The statistical program package STATA will be used in many of the exercises. Analysis of examples from medical research will be emphasized.
The participants shall get a basic understanding in the following areas: Elementary probability; probability distributions: binomial distribution and normal distribution; design of clinical trials and epidemiological studies; statistical theory of estimation; construction of confidence intervals; testing statistical hypotheses; analysis of paired data and comparison of two samples; analysis of tables; linear regression analysis with one or several explanatory variables; survival analysis.
PhD candidates at UiO will have first priority at admission to this course.
How to apply:
- PhD candidates admitted to a PhD programme at UiO:
- Apply in StudentWeb
- Applicants who are not admitted to a PhD programme at UiO:
- Must apply for a right to study PhD courses in medicine and health sciences in SøknadsWeb before they can apply for this course.
- External applicants should apply for a right to study minimum 3 weeks before the course application deadline.
- When a right to study is granted, external applicants apply for this course in StudentWeb.
- See information about how to apply for at right to study and how to apply for PhD courses here: How external applicants can apply for elective PhD courses in medicine and health sciences.
Reply to course application:
Formal prerequisite knowledge
No obligatory prerequisites beyond the minimum requirements for entrance to higher education in Norway.
The course is organized as full day teaching over 8 days (4 + 4 days) and includes lectures, group exercises and PC-labs.
The participants must also have time for literature studies and take home exercises after study period 1.
The course is also taught in Norwegian:
MF9130 Innføring i statistikk
You have to participate in at least 80 % of the teaching to be allowed to take the exam. Attendance will be registered.
A take-home exam will be given at the end of the course.
Submit assignments in Inspera
You submit your assignment in the digital examination system Inspera. Read about how to submit your assignment.
Use of sources and citation
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.