SNE3200 – Education for Learners with Special Needs
The course runs together with SNE4200 – Education for Learners with Special Needs
Areas of study include:
- Innovation in special and inclusive education.
- The process of planning, implementing and evaluation of individual and environmental conditions for learning.
- Individual educational planning related to different impairments and/or disabilities in:
- cognition, speech and language
- reading and numeracy
- sensory functions (vision and hearing)
- movement related functions and specific health conditions
- psychosocial functioning
- mental impairment
The course aims to enable students to understand
- the complexity of learning conditions, with a focus on the interaction between context and individual conditions.
- individual conditions for learning development related to different impairments and/or disabilities.
The students shall acquire skills in planning, implementing, evaluating education plans for learners with disabilities in an inclusive setting.
The students should be able to understand the principles of inclusive education and implement innovation in practice.
This course is only open for international exchange students at bachelor's Level.
Number of students: approximately 15
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Some basic knowledge in special needs education or other relevant discipline, equivalent to a minimum of 10 credits.
20 credits overlap with SNE4200 – Education for Learners with Special Needs
Students accepted onto this course can not apply for course SNE4200 – Education for Learners with Special Needs at Master’s level.
- Literature studies
- Individual and group assignments
- Group and plenary discussions
Attendance at lectures and seminars is compulsory. You are allowed to be absent for a maximum of 20%.
There is one compulsory component with observation and assessment based on case with group discussion and reflection paper.
Successful completion of compulsory components is a necessary course requirement prior to examination.
Students who do not pass an exam may have a second attempt as soon as it is possible to arrange. This is called a re-sit examination. The re-sit examination is held within 3 months of the original examination. Students who have passed their exam, but who wish to improve their grade may NOT participate in a re-sit examination. You may take an exam to improve your grades at the next time the course has an ordinary exam, as long as you have not already used all three attempts.
Digital home examination
The home examination is conducted in the digital examination system Inspera.You will need to familiarize yourself with the digital examination arrangements in Inspera.
Use of sources and citation
Language of examination
The examination text is given in English, and you submit your response in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.