IN3130 - Algorithms: Design and Efficiency
The course provides a review of general algorithm classes such as dynamic programming, heuristic algorithms, probabilistic algorithms, and a representative selection of single algorithms that solve current issues. Emphasis is placed on efficiency assessment. Furthermore, it will review the theory of NP completeness and for irreversibility - problems without a solution algorithm.
After finishing IN3130, you'll:
- know and be able to program important algorithms within several key areas of application
- know and be able to apply the most important principles for designing effective algorithms
- be able to rate how effective a given algorithm is and know the term «polynomial algorithms»
- be able to recognize problems that can not be solved by any algorithm
- be able to recognize problems that can be solved algorithmically, but not in any effective way
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF3130 - Algoritmer: Design og effektivitet (discontinued)
- 10 credits overlap with IN4130
- 10 credits overlap with INF4130 - Algoritmer: Design og effektivitet
- 10 credits overlap with INF9135 - Algoritmer: design og effektivitet
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group lectures each week. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
4 hours final written digital exam. All mandatory assignments must be passed before you're allowed to take the exam.
Examination support material
All written and printed support material is allowed
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN4130/INF3130.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.