PES funding - PES2020 at UiO
PES2020 is strategic funding from the Research Council to strengthen Norwegian participation and improve returns in the form of project funding under H2020. UiO applies annually for a block grant from the Research Council, to be distributed to researchers applying for EU-funding. As from 2016, PES2020 includes more funding and a wider range of possible funded activities. UiO will use this funding to stimulate to increased participation in H2020 through several initiatives.
According to the guidelines at the Research Council of Norway PES2020 may cover:
- Expenses for partner search /establishment of project consortium
- Travel expenses - generally travel expenses for potential partners is not supported, only for Norwegian applicants. This is to ensure that potential partners are genuinely interested in participating in the project application. Exception from this ought to be justified especially before other travel costs can be accepted
- “Frikjop” of staff for project planning and preparation of project proposal
- External assistance and counseling
- Search in patent databases, etc.
The UiO-PES2020 funding, or PES for short, is administered as a block grant allocation by the UiO's central EU-office at the Department of Academic Administration, and will be allocated according to the following principles:
- Special funding to ERC proposals: PES ERC
- Block funding to the units, based on the number of applications submitted to EU: PES Framework
- Special funding to EU-proposals with UiO as the coordinating institution: PES Coordinator
- Funding for competence building activities on Horizon 2020, primarily for research support staff: PES Competence
UiO-PES2020 to stimulate increased participation in H2020
PES ERC will be granted to all ERC applications where UiO is host for the project. Flat rate of 50 000 NOK per proposal. The units will cover ERC proposal expences in advance, and funding will be disbursed by the EU-office to the units based on the number of ERC proposals registered in the Commission's online application system. PES ERC will be distributed automatically by the end of the year and does not require any PES application.
PES Framework will be granted to all H2020 applications at UiO, excluding Coordinator- and ERC project proposals. Block funding will be distributed by the EU-office to the units based on H2020 proposals registered in the Commission's online application system. PES Framework will be distributed automatically by the end of the year and does not require any PES application.
PES Coordinator will be granted to all coordinator proposals within thematic calls where UiO is hosting the project. PES Coordinator releases a flat rate grant of 50 000 NOK per submitted project proposal. The units will be expected to cover coordinator proposal expences in advance. PES Coordinator does not require a PES application, and will be distributed automatically to the host department by the end of the year based on the number of submitted proposals registered in the Commission's online application system.
In case of need for further support, applicants may apply for Additional PES Coordinator funding up to 100 000 NOK per project proposal, depending on the scale of proposal preparation and size of the project. This means that a Coordinator proposal may release total PES Coordinator funding up to 150 000 NOK.
For MSCA ITN coordinator proposals, Additional PES Coordinator funding up to 25 000 NOK can be allotted, based on application. This means that a MSCA ITN Coordinator proposal may release total PES Coordinator funding up to 75 000 NOK.
Taking on the role as coordinator of a large project is a demanding task, and the proposal planning should be started before the given call is opened. Hence the PES application should be sent as early as possible, preferably by opening of the call.
Final deadline for Additional PES Coordinator funding is two (2) months before the deadline of the relevant call. Applications for Additional PES Coordinator funding received after this deadline can not expect to be fully allotted.Funding is based on a specific application form for Additional PES Coordinator funding which includes a short description and budget for the activities planned.
The application must include approval from the Head of Department.
Additional PES Coordinator funding for resubmission of proposals for H2020 is in general not considered. These proposals will, however, still receive the basic PES Coordinator with a flat rate of 50 000 NOK per submitted proposal.
PES for other EU initiatives
For EU programs outside the H2020, "Additional PES Coordinator Funding" may be requested to prepare applications where UiO is coordinator for the following programs if the given call receives funding from H2020 (and Norway participates):
- Active and Assisted Living Program (AAL)
- Joint Technology Initiatives (JTI)
- COST (creation of new network)
- Calls for ERA-NET or JPIs if these are part-financed from H2020.
Other EU initiatives than those mentioned here are not supported by PES funds.
For these calls, an "Additional PES Coordinator Funding" application must be submitted no later than 2 months before the application deadline and the maximum PES is 75 000 NOK.
- Application Deadline: 2 months before EU Call Deadline
- Application Form for Additional PES Coordinator funding
- The application should sent to EUemail@example.com
- Reporting: Funds will only be released upon reporting of actual costs
- EU proposal must be registered as eligible to release Additional PES Coordinator Funds
UiO-PES2020 to support competence building
PES Competence is funding for activities to build competence for administrative and scientific personnel, with a goal of achieving specific knowledge related to H2020 proposals and/or running of H2020 projects. This includes activities such as seminars, workshops, consultancy and more. PES Competence is not for general positioning towards Networks, general seminar activities etc, the activities must be related to specific H2020 knowledge building.
PES Competence is primarily directed towards EU unit support staff, and the faculties/units are encouraged to present applications based on annual plans for competence building activities. Funding is based on an PES Competence application which includes a short description and budget for the activities planned. The application should preferably collate several activities for a given period of time, for releasing a block funding to the unit. Application forms and deadlines are presented to the units on a yearly basis.
- For Additional PES Coordinator, deadlines and handling of applications are running
- PES Competence has a yearly deadline around February, information are sent to the units in due time
- For the UiO-PES2020 schemes that require an Application, approval will be granted from the EU-office and funds allocated on the basis of accounting and reporting of the costs by the department
- Only employees at UiO may apply for UiO-PES2020
- PES support related to H2020 applications will only be triggered if the submitted project proposal is formally approved (eligible) by the EU
The applications may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org