Get your admission requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of minimum 80 ECTS credit informatics including 30 ECTS credits on beginners level (1000-courses) and 20 ECTS credits on advanced level (2000- and 3000-courses) of which:
- at least 20 ECTS credits programming
- a specialization within one of the fields; human-computer interaction (HCI), information systems (IS) or software engineering (SE) corresponding to at least 30 ECTS credits
The following courses from the University of Oslo are examples that cover the specialization requirements
- 20 ECTS programming: IN1000/INF1000 or IN1900/INF1100, IN1010/INF1010/IN1910, IN-KJM1900 and more.
- Human-computer interaction (HCI): IN1050/INF1500, IN1060/INF1510, IN2020/INF2260
- Information systems (IS): INF3290/IN2150, INF3272, INF3280
- Software engineering (SE), the requirements for Software engineering can not be fulfilled by ifi/UiO courses on bachelor-level alone, the courses that can account for parts of the requirement are the following: IN1030 (only 5 ECTS count toward the requirement), IN2000 (only 10 out of 20 ECTS count toward the requirement), IN3240/INF3121
The required specialization is considered covered for applicants with a Bachelor's degree in Informatics: design, use, interaction.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must also upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.
If you have more than 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization, the 80 ECTS credits with the highest grades will form the grade average.