BIOS9410 – Regulatory Toxicology
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
The course is an introduction to general principles in toxicological risk assessment, both ecotoxicology and human toxicology. The practical use of these principles for protection of the environment and humans will be in focus. The risk assessment principles are well standardized internationally, and in the course, the OECD test protocols and EU´s technical guidance system will be elucidated. In addition to lectures on the interaction between toxicology and the society, the students will do practical data exercises of risk assessment, and will present this and project to the other students.
After finishing the course, you will:
- have knowledge on general principles for risk assessment in both human and ecotoxicology.
- have knowledge on national and international principles for the assessment, test protocols and legislation
- have knowledge on data bases for data used in the risk assessment and how these are used
- be able to gather information on toxicological risk assessment and communicate to fellow students
- have expereince in planning and conducting a lecture on a given topic for fellow students
Admission to the course
PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.
If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.
PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.
The courses BIOS5410 and BIOS9410 have joint admission. The courses have a total capasity of 20 students. Applicants are ranked by the following criteria:
- PhD candidates and master students at the MN faculty who have the course as part of the approved curriculum.
- Other PhD candidates, master students and visiting PhD candidates.
- Students with admission to single courses on master’s level and exchange students
Applicants are ranked by credits in each group; all applicants within 1st rank before applicants in 2nd etc. If admission is limited to a fixed number of participants, admission will be decided by drawing lots for students who are ranked equally
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with BIOS5410 – Regulatory Toxicology.
- 5 credits overlap with BIO4530 – Regulatory Toxicology (discontinued).
- 5 credits overlap with BIO9530 – Regulatory Toxicology (discontinued).
- lectures (not mandatory)
- own mandatory lecture (only for PhD-students)
- mandatory data lab
- mandatory presentation of data lab report
- mandatory group project presentation
- discussion group (not mandatory)
First lecture is mandatory. If you can not attend the first lecture, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org, before the first lecture.
Final digital exam, 4 hours, which counts 100 % towards the finale grade.
All mandatory tasks must be approved before you can take the exam.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: