IN3060 – Semantic Technologies
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Teaching and exams spring 2022
At the MN Faculty teaching is in-person this spring, but there may still be cases of online or hybrid teaching.
Please see the semester page, Canvas or your regular channel of information for changes in teaching and form of examination.
"Semantic web" (SW) is a new and exciting development for the future WWW. At the same time, the methods and standards developed for SW are used to exchange and integrate data in industry and the public sector. Semantic technologies give a fascinating combination of web-technology, database technology, modeling, formal logic and artificial intelligence.
After taking this course you´ll:
- have an overview of basic standards (RDF, RDFS, OWL, SPARQL) in semantic technologies
- have a good understanding of the theoretical foundation for such technologies, both in terms of semantics and syntactic reasoning
- know how to use libraries to use the technology in their own applications
- know about ontologies: what they are, how to make them, what to use them for
- have an overview of existing applications
- be able to use semantic technologies to solve issues in web development, data integration and data transfer
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
Formal prerequisite knowledge
IN1010 – Object-oriented Programming /INF1010.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with IN4060 – Semantic Technologies.
- 10 credits overlap with INF3580 – Semantic Technologies (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4580 – Semantic technologies (continued).
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group exercises each week.
You will need to submit mandatory assignments. Mandatory assignments and other hand-ins.
4 hours written digital exam. All mandatory assignments must be approved prior to the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN4060 - Semantic Technologies, INF4580 - Semantic technologies (continued), INF3580 - Semantic Technologies (continued)
Examination support material
All written material.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in Norwegian. If the course is taught in English, the examination text will only be given in English. You may answer in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.