INEC1800 – Economics, finance and accounting
About economic contexts - how supply and demand for goods and services affect price and production, based on models of human and organizational behavior. An introduction to the monetary side of the economy - how interest rates, return requirements and financial expectations affect business and individuals behavior. About how businesses explain their business and use accounting data for communication and analysis.
After finishing INEC1800, you'll:
- have knowledge of basic economic and financial theory, including microeconomic models for corporate adaptation to a competitive market
- have knowledge of the mathematical models for price formation, supply and demand in various markets
- have knowledge of the difference between investment and loan financing
- master present value calculations and basic investment calculations
- be able to design an analysis of a technology business's investment and financing needs
- be able to read and understand an annual financial statement and conduct a liquidity analysis for a technology company
Formal prerequisite knowledge
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
This course might overlap with other courses at the University of Oslo.
Four hours of lectures and two hours of group teaching each week. Submission of mandatory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
Attendance of the first lecture is compulsory.
This course has a digital exam. 4 hours written exam. Mandatory assignments must be passed to be allowed to take the exam.
The written examination is conducted in the digital examination system Inspera. You will need to familiarize yourself with the digital examination arrangements in Inspera.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more:
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.