HMS0503 – Laboratory Safety
This course will give you basic knowledge of safety associated with working in laboratories as well as awareness of hazards you may encounter while working in one. You will also learn how to ensure your own and others safety while working in our laboratories.
After completing the course you should have knowledge of:
- How to do a risk assessment
- Planning before you commence working in a laboratory
- What protective gear you should use
- What you should do if an accident happens in the laboratory
The course is compulsory for:
- Students taking a course having HMS0503 as a prerequisite.
- New students in the following bachelor programs:
- New students in the Masters programs:
- New students in the following 5-year Master programs:
- New students in Medicine - 6 years
The course overlaps with MNHMS0010LS – Innføring i laboratoriesikkerhet (discontinued) and MNHMS0020LS – In-depth Laboratory Safety (discontinued).
The course is an individual online course. The course is available on a smart phone, PC, Mac or tablet. You can access the online course here: ehms.uio.no/#/3/en
You need to be registered for the course and exam in Student Web to complete the online digital exam.
The online course includes an online digital exam that you need to pass, to successfully complete the course. Please note that you will have to be registered for the course in StudentWeb to complete the exam. You have to wait until the day after you have been registered for the course to take the test.
The digital exam is multiple choice and you can take the exam more than once. When you have passed the exam you will receive an email confirming you have passed the course.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
The course is subject to continuous evaluation. At regular intervals we also ask students to participate in a more comprehensive evaluation.
If HMS0503 is a degree requirement or a formal prerequisite for any of the courses in your degree, you will not get your degree approved until you have passed the course.