KJM9270 – Synthetic Organic Chemistry
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course explores modern techniques in organic synthesis, such as coupling chemistry, unsymmetric reactions and C-H-activation.
The course focuses on different ways to influence regio- and stereoselectivies in chemical reactions and uses reaction mechanisms to understand and explain these phenomena.
After completing the course, you:
- have a basic understanding of retrosynthetic techniques
- can give examples of modern processes and reactions in organic synthesis, such as catalyzed coupling chemistry, asymmetric reactions and catalyzed C-H activation
- are be able to determine how choice of catalyst, ligand, and conditions control regio- and stereoselectivities
- understand how reaction mechanisms give a rational foundation to predict and understand regio- and stereoselectivities
Admission to the course
PhD candidates from the University of Oslo should apply for classes and register for examinations through Studentweb.
If a course has limited intake capacity, priority will be given to PhD candidates who follow an individual education plan where this particular course is included. Some national researchers’ schools may have specific rules for ranking applicants for courses with limited intake capacity.
PhD candidates who have been admitted to another higher education institution must apply for a position as a visiting student within a given deadline.
Recommended previous knowledge
The teaching includes 12 hours of lectures and 28 hours of oral presentations and colloquia.
Before you can sit the final exam, you must be present at 80% of the lectures and oral presentations/colloquia.
- Final oral examination which counts 100% towards the final grade.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: KJM5270 – Synthetic Organic Chemistry
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: