Guidelines for the granting of welfare loans
As an UiO employee, you may apply for a salary advance under the conditions spelt out below. Such welfare loans are interest-free and are repaid via salary deductions.
What can I get a loan for?
- Home purchase (no older than 6 months)
- Unexpected events that have led to acute financial difficulties. This is a "typical" welfare loan given for e.g. water damage, dentist expenses, etc.
- Expenses ordered by housing cooperatives and condominium associations, for example for putting in new windows, bathrooms, etc.
- Welfare concerns related to stand-alone events. For example, breakups, serious illness, or the death of a close family member.
- Deposit for house rental for foreigners during their first year in Norway. This provision can only be used by employees hired for one year or longer. The application must be accompanied by a recommendation from their unit. A copy of the rental agreement must be enclosed.
- Special welfare concerns and costs that are considered necessary for the employee to function adequately in their position at UiO. This provision will normally only be used in cases in which the local unit is in contact with HR.
What are loans not granted for?
- Purchase of consumer goods
- Expenses that are foreseeable and/or that have no welfare aspect
- Renovation of home or second home
- Payments in default
- Taxes owed
- Damages to, or purchase of, second home
How much can I borrow?
- Loans may be granted for several issues, but the total amount borrowed cannot at any point exceed two months' gross pay.
- For sections 4 and 5, the advance is limited to a maximum of one month's gross pay, and a repayment term of at most one year.
- Loans can only be granted for documented expenses.
- The employee must have started their position before a loan can be paid.
- Due reservations are made regarding temporary positions and positions in which the employee is still on probation.
- The loan term cannot exceed the employment term.
- The remaining balance of the loan must be paid on termination of employment or when starting unpaid leave from UiO.