GEO4360 – Field Methods in Hydrogeology
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course emphasizes exploration and testing methods for the purpose of finding and utilizing ground water resources, and also gives an introduction to pollution studies and control. The following methods and exercises are involved:
- Field reconnesance and water sampling
- Land surveilance to determine geographic coordinates
- Groundwater sampling to delineate waste leachate pathways and contribution
- Piezometers and groundwater limnographs
- Geopysical exploration by seismic refraction, geoelectric and magnetic sonding and profiling, and ground penetrating radar
- Sounding and test drilling
- Infiltration tests, slug tests and pumping test
- Data analysis and reporting
To give students practical experience in and knowledge of the most common methods used in groundwater exploration and pollution control. What kinds of aquifer characteristics can be obtained in the field? After finishing the class, the student should be able to evalute which methods are suitable for the study in question, and decide what kind of hydrogeological surveys are necessary for
- groundwater extraction
- management and protection of groundwater resources
- studies of contaminant spreading in groundwater
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
- GEO3020 – Soil- and groundwater (discontinued) / GEO4020 – Soil- and groundwater (discontinued) / other basic courses in geohydrology/hydrogeology.
The following course must be taken before the field trip/excursion in GEO4360:
Recommended previous knowledge
- Basic knowledge in chemistry, physics and geosciences
Intensive class and field instruction over two weeks in June. This course is a national field class in hydrogeology with participation from UMB, UiB, UiO and HiT. The students are divided into groups to ensure a mix of students from different backgrounds. There are morning and afternoon sessions in the field and evening sessions with data analysis and report writing.
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Student administration (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To attend the field trip/excursion it is required that the following course is passed:
You will need to provide documentation that you have passed HMS0504 when you attend the field trip/excursion.
As the teaching involves laboratory and/or field work, you should consider taking out a separate travel and personal risk insurance. Read about your insurance cover as a student.
We reserve the right to change the teaching form and examination of the course in semesters where 5 or fewer students have been admitted.
- The written group report counts 100%
Language of examination
In this course any written exam questions or assignment questions may be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.