IN3120 – Search Technology
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course provides an introduction to technologies for search and information retrieval on a large scale over text. You will receive a presentation of index structures, relevance and ranking of documents, as well as processing of documents and queries. Selected applications of language technology and algorithms relevant to search are reviewed.
After taking IN3120 you'll:
- have an overview of the various components of a comprehensive, scalable and modern search system
- know how an inverted index works and how to effectively use it to evaluate queries
- be able to explain which factors are included in relevance calculations
- have knowledge of key technologies in compression, as well as algorithms and data structures for efficient string processing
- have a basis for further specialization in advanced search technology
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with INF3800 – Søketeknologi (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4800 – Søketeknologi (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with IN4120 – Search Technology.
2 hours of lectures and 2 hours of group exercises each week. Submission of compulsory assignments is required. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
4 hours written digital exam. All mandatory assignments must be approved before prior to the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN4120 – Search Technology, INF3800 – Søketeknologi (continued), INF4800 – Søketeknologi (continued)
Language of examination
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.