IN4160 – Digital system design
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.
Spring 2020: Teaching and examinations was digitilized. See changes and common guidelines for exams at the MN faculty spring 2020.
In this course you will learn about the design of advanced digital systems. This includes programmable logic circuits, a hardware design language and system-on-chip design (processor, memory and logic on a chip). Lab assignments provide practical experience in how real design can be made.
After completion of the course you´ll:
- understand important principles for design and testing of digital systems
- understand the relationship between behavior and different construction criteria
- be able to describe advanced digital systems at different levels of detail
- be able to perform advanced simulation and synthesis of digital systems
- be able to perform advanced implementation and analysis techniques
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Recommended previous knowledge
Courses that will provide background in high level programming languages, boolean algebra and combinatorial and sequential circuits, electronics or mechatronics and computer architecture: F. example IN1080 – Mechatronics, IN2060 – Digital Design and Computer Architecture and one beginner course in programming.
- 10 credits overlap with IN3160 – Digital system design.
- 10 credits overlap with INF3430 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4430 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4431 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 6 credits overlap with FYS4220 – Real Time and Embedded Data Systems.
- 6 credits overlap with FYS9220 – Real Time and Embedded Data Systems.
Up to 4 hours of lectures each week. Compulsory laboratory exercises must be passed before the exam.
4 hours written exam. All mandatory assignments must be passed before the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN3160 - Digital system design, INF3430 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued), INF4430 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued), INF4431 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued)
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.