IN3160 – Digital system design
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
In this course you will learn about the design of advanced digital systems. This includes programmable logic circuits, a hardware design language and system-on-chip design (processor, memory and logic on a chip). Lab assignments provide practical experience in how real design can be made.
After completion of the course you´ll:
- understand important principles for design and testing of digital systems
- understand the relationship between behavior and different construction criteria
- be able to describe advanced digital systems at different levels of detail
- be able to perform simulation and synthesis of digital systems.
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
IN3160 and IN4160 will be assessed together in regards to the number of admissions, with priority given to bachelor's students in the study programme Informatics: Robotics and Intelligent System
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 or Mathematics (S1+S2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies. Read more about special admission requirements (in Norwegian).
Recommended previous knowledge
Courses that will provide background in high level programming languages, boolean algebra and combinatorial and sequential circuits, electronics or mechatronics and computer architecture: F. example IN1080 – Mechatronics, IN2060 – Digital Design and Computer Architecture and one beginner course in programming.
- 10 credits overlap with IN4160 – Digital system design.
- 10 credits overlap with INF3430 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4430 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF4431 – Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued).
- 6 credits overlap with FYS4220 – Real Time and Embedded Data Systems.
- 6 credits overlap with FYS9220 – Real Time and Embedded Data Systems.
Up to 4 hours of lectures each week. Compulsory laboratory exercises must be passed before the exam.
4 hours written exam. All mandatory assignments must be passed before the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: IN4160 - Digital system design, INF3430 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued), INF4430 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued), INF4431 - Digital systemkonstruksjon (continued)
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.