IN5250 – Action Research Workshop
In this course you will develop the necessary skills to use action research as method in your thesis. Based on practical assignments, you will actively work with developing your own research design, practice important skills in action research and develop the skills necessary to make informed choices on research method. It is thus a prerequisite that you are using action research in your thesis. The course will further position action research related to other qualitative research methods in information systems.
After having completed this course you can:
- describe and discuss the principles of action research methods
- relate action research to other research methods
- design, implement and evaluate action research projects
- describe the basic elements of quantitative research methods
- accomplish action research based data analysis and data display
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
The course is intended for students doing action oriented research thesises.
- 10 credits overlap with INF5571 – Action Research Workshop (continued).
- 10 credits overlap with INF9571 – Action Research Workshop.
- 5 credits overlap with IN5000 – Qualitative Research Methods.
- 5 credits overlap with INF5570 – Action Research Workshop (discontinued).
- 5 credits overlap with INF9930 – Action Research Workshop (discontinued).
- 5 credits overlap with IN9000 – Qualitative Research Methods.
Five workshops. Participation in at least four of five workshops is required. Students prepare their own work to each workshop.
One of three written assignments must be approved. Read more about requirements for submission of assignments, group work and legal cooperation under guidelines for mandatory assignments.
1 hour written digital exam.
You must attend at least 4 of 5 workshops and one assignment must be approved before you can take the exam.
It will also be counted as one of your three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: INF5571 - Action Research Workshop, INF9571 - Action Research Workshop
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester. Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.