MAT5000 – Practical Mathematics Education
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Exams after the reopening
As a general rule, exams will be conducted without physical attendance in the autumn of 2021, even after the reopening. See the semester page for information about the form of examination in your course. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
Mathematics education in practice is a course specifically developed for the science teacher education Masters´ degree programme at the University of Oslo and is offered to students specialising in mathematics teaching. The course is targeted at training candidates to teach in the optional mathematics subjects in Norwegian upper secondary school (years 12 and 13). You will gain experience in combining theoretical knowledge in mathematics with practical work in upper secondary school classrooms. This course is one of five "science education in practice"-courses, and two of these courses together with the courses PROF1015 – Profesjonsidentitet, læring og undervisning, PROF3025 – Ledelse av elevers læring and PROF4045 – Tilrettelegging for elevers læring will fulfill the science teacher education programmes practice-requirements.
After completing the course you
- will have experience with developing and delivering teaching and learning sequences for mathematics in upper secondary school, with durations from single lessons up to full days
- will be able to make reflected decisions in your mathematics teaching
- will know about different strategies and methods for facilitating mathematics teaching and learning, e.g. finding good examples
- will have experience with meeting students´ challenges when learning upper secondary school mathematics and know about mathematical challenges in the transition between upper secondary school and further studies (including proofs and mathematical thinking).
Admission to the course
This course is limited to students admitted to the Master´s degree programme in teaching.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
- PROF1015 – Profesjonsidentitet, læring og undervisning
- PROF3025 – Ledelse av elevers læring
- PROF4045 – Tilrettelegging for elevers læring
- MAT1100 – Calculus
- MAT1110 – Calculus and Linear Algebra
- MAT1120 – Linear Algebra
- MAT-IN1105 – Programming, Modelling and Computations
- MAT2500 – Geometry
- STK1100 – Probability and Statistical Modelling
The course is given over 8 weeks during the first half of the semester, including practice in an upper secondary school and the exam.
Teaching consists of lectures and seminar/project-groups, 2+2 hours per week.
Practice amounts to 7,5 days, where some of this happens in an upper secondary school whereas the planning and reflection components may happen on campus.
It is very important to attend the first lecture, where the semester and practice will be planned. Students who cannot be present need to let the lecturer know. The practice and teaching related to this is mandatory.
Final oral exam which counts 100 % towards the final grade.
The practice component must be approved before you can sit the final exam. The practice component is only valid in the same semester the course is taken, including a following resit or postponed examination.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: