STK1100 – Probability and Statistical Modelling
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Teaching and exams spring 2022
In light of the most recent infection control regulations, we will at the start of the spring semester 2022 increase our online teaching, while we at the same time try to maintain in-person teaching where this is possible. We hope to go back to more in-person teaching later on in the semester. You will be informed about any changes in teaching or examinations on the semester page, in Canvas or through your regular channels.
Read more about postponed exams for the autumn semester 2021.
The course gives a basic introduction to probability and the use of probability models to describe random variables and stochastic processes. The course also gives an introduction to statistical inference, that is how to extract information from data. The course gives a good background for STK1110 – Statistical Methods and Data Analysis
After having completed the course:
- you know about the concept of probability and master the basic rules of probability
- you know about random variables, and are able to find expectation, variance, covariance and moment generating functions
- you know about the most common univariate probability models, and have seen examples of bivariate models
- are you able to do computations with univariate and bivariate distributions and to determine conditional distributions
- you know about the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem
- you know methods for estimation and construction of confidence intervals in some simple situations
- you know about stochastic simulation and bootstrapping.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
Mathematics R1 (or Mathematics S1 and S2) + R2
And in addition one of these:
Information technology (1+2)
Technology and theories of research (1+2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies (in Norwegian).
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with ST100.
- 10 credits overlap with ST100.
- 7 credits overlap with ST101.
- 5 credits overlap with ST001.
- 4 credits overlap with ECON2130 – Statistikk 1.
- 2 credits overlap with MAT0120V.
- 2 credits overlap with ST102.
4 hours of lectures and 2 hours of exercise sessions per week throughout the semester.
The number of groups offered can be adjusted during the semester, depending on attendance.
Midterm exam which counts 1/3 towards the final grade.
Final written exam which counts 2/3 towards the final grade.
This course has 2 mandatory assignments that must be approved before you can sit the final exam.
Examination support material
Approved calculator and formula list for STK1100/STK1110.
Information about approved calculators (Norwegian only).
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: