STK4900 – Statistical Methods and Applications
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
The course provides insight on how to formulate a problem into statistical language, how to build a statistical model, how to analyse data and how to validate results. Regession methods (that is emperical determination of relations between variables) and other multivariable statistical techniques are central. In particular linear regression, analysis of variance, design of experiments, logistic regression, survival analysis and simple time-series analysis is treated.
The students will become familiar with many important topics in applied statistics. Teaching will be computer assisted and related to examples. Mathematics is kept at a minimum, while it is expected that the students have a basic knowledge of statistics at the level of STK1000 – Introduction to Applied Statistics. Use of a software package is integraded into the course. The course is in particular directed towards master and phd students who need knowledge of statistics beyond an introductory course for their thesis work. The students are required to actively take part in practical exercises.
Admission to the course
Students at UiO register for courses and exams in Studentweb.
Recommended previous knowledge
STK1000 – Introduction to Applied Statistics and an introductory course in mathematics is recommended.
- 10 credits overlap with STK3900 – Statistical methods and applications (discontinued).
- 10 credits overlap with STK9900 – Statistical Methods and Applications.
- 9 credits overlap with ST301.
- 9 credits overlap with ST301.
- 5 credits overlap with STK2000 – Some central models and methods in statistic (discontinued).
- 5 credits overlap with STK3100 – Introduction to Generalized Linear Models.
- 5 credits overlap with ST-IN216.
- 5 credits overlap with STK4100 – Introduction to Generalized Linear Models.
- 5 credits overlap with ST213.
- 5 credits overlap with ST202.
- 3 credits overlap with ST202A.
- 3 credits overlap with STK2120 – Statistical Methods and Data Analysis 2 (discontinued).
- 3 credits overlap with STK1120 – Statistical methods and data analysis 2 (continued).
- 2 credits overlap with STK1110 – Statistical Methods and Data Analysis.
Teaching will be given intensively over two separate weeks. In these two weeks there will be teaching 09.15-16.00 every day.
The course may be taught in Norwegian if the lecturer and all students at the first lecture agree to it.
Final oral or written examination. The form of examination will be announced by the teaching staff by 15 October/15 March for the autumn semester and the spring semester respectively.
Lectures, exercises and the compulsory assignment are given jointly for STK4900 and STK9900, but the exam questions are not the same for the two courses.
Examination support material
Written examination: All printed and hand-written resources and approved calculators are allowed. Information about approved calculators (Norwegian only).
Language of examination
Subjects taught in English will only offer the exam paper in English. You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: