Get your admissions requirements and application deadline for this programme by following our guide.
Check your admission requirements and when to apply
Answer three questions in our admission guide to get
your application deadline
which documents to submit
access to the application portal Søknadsweb
Selected program requirements (visible to UiO employees only)
You must have a bachelor’s degree comparable to a Norwegian bachelor’s degree.
Required specialization and minimum grade requirement
You must have a minimum grade average comparable to a Norwegian C in the required specialization. A Norwegian C is described as a good grade, generally comparable to an American B and a Second Class Upper in the British system. We do not use conversion tables for foreign grades. All foreign education is individually evaluated during the admission process.
Please note that eligible applicants who fulfill the minimum grade requirement will compete for a study place. Please see the section on ranking for more information on selection criteria.
The required specialization consists of 100 ECTS credits and consists of a minimum of 80 ECTS credits informatics, including 30 ECTS credits with courses at the lowest level (1000 courses) and 20 ECTS credits with courses on advanced level (2000 and 3000 courses). The following must be included:
- 40 ECTS credits of basic informatics, of which at least 10 ECTS credits programming
- 40 ECTS credits informatics within at least two of the following topics:
- Digital system design, embedded systems and FPGA, or computer architecture
- Robotics, or mechatronics
- Signal processing, or image processing
- Machine learning, or artificial intelligence
- 20 ECTS credits mathematics, or statistics
Courses from the University of Oslo that meet the requirements:
- IN/INF1000, IN/INF1010, IN1020, IN1030 will meet the requirement for 40 ECTS credits of basic informatics, including 10 ECTS credits programming.
- IN1080, IN2060, IN3140 and IN3XXX (digital system construction) will meet the requirement for 40 ECTS credits informatics within at least two topics. Students with a Bachelor's degree in Informatics: nanoelectronics and robotics will meet the requirement with INF1400/INF1411, INF2270, INF3430 og INF3480.
- MAT1100 and MAT1110 will meet the requirement for 20 ECTS credits in mathematics/statistics
Students with a Bachelor's degree in Informatics: nanoelectronics and robotics, or Informatics: robotics and intelligent systems, from the University of Oslo are eligible for admission to this programme option.
A minimum grade average of C (Norwegian grading scale), or equivalent, is required for 80 ECTS credits in informatics.
Applicants who fulfilled the admission requirements to the Master's Program Informatics: Robotics and Intelligent Systems as described in the autumn of 2017, qualify for admission to this Programme Option until and including 2021.
Further documentation for this program
If you have completed studies/courses outside the University of Oslo, you must also upload course descriptions. The course names and codes on the course descriptions must match the transcript of records.
Ranking of applicants
Selection is based on your academic performance in the required subjects for this programme.
A list of the courses forming the grade average can be found under the heading “Academic background”. If an applicant has more than 80 ECTS credits in the required specialization, the 80 ECTS credits with the highest grades will form the grade average.