FYS3240 – Data Acquisition and Control
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
This course gives an introduction to data acquisition and control in PC-based and embedded systems used for instrumentation and process control. This course also gives an introduction to LabVIEW.
After completing the course you should:
- Master programming of XMEGA microcontrollers.
- Have knowledge about programming with LabVIEW.
- Master PC-based data acquisition.
- Have knowledge about real-time systems and embedded systems.
- Have basic knowledge about estimation and data fusion.
- Have basic knowledge about simple control algorithms and process control.
- Have knowledge about time and synchronization.
- Be able to program a medium size data acquisition task using LabVIEW.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Maximum 40 students due to laboratory capacity. The course FYS3240 has a quota of 25 students, and FYS4240 has a quota of 15 students.
Special admission requirements
In addition to fulfilling the Higher Education Entrance Qualification, applicants have to meet the following special admission requirements:
- Mathematics R1 (or Mathematics S1 and S2) + R2
And in addition one of these:
- Physics (1+2)
- Chemistry (1+2)
- Biology (1+2)
- Information technology (1+2)
- Geosciences (1+2)
- Technology and theories of research (1+2)
The special admission requirements may also be covered by equivalent studies from Norwegian upper secondary school or by other equivalent studies (in Norwegian).
Recommended previous knowledge
- FYS1210 – Elementary Electronics with Project Work
- IN1000 – Introduction to Object-oriented Programming/IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications
- 10 credits overlap with FYS4240 – Data Acquisition and Control.
The course extends over a full semester with 10 hours teaching per week (2 hours of lectures and 8 hours with lab access).
There are four mandatory laboratory assignments.
Regulations for mandatory assignments can be found here.
As the teaching involves laboratory and/or field work, you should consider taking out a separate travel and personal risk insurance. Read about your insurance cover as a student.
4 mandatory lab exercises must be approved to take the final exam.
A final written exam (3 hours).
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: FYS4240 – Data Acquisition and Control
Examination support material
Language of examination
The examination text is given in Norwegian. If the course is taught in English, the examination text will only be given in English. You may answer in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.