FYS4240 – Data Acquisition and Control
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 the exams of most courses at the MN Faculty will be conducted as digital home exams or oral exams, using the normal grading scale. The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination.
This course gives an introduction to data acquisition and control in PC-based and embedded systems used for instrumentation and process control. This course also gives an introduction to LabVIEW.
After finishing the course the student should:
- Master programming of XMEGA microcontrollers.
- Have knowledge about programming with LabVIEW.
- Master PC-based data acquisition.
- Have knowledge about real-time systems and embedded systems.
- Have basic knowledge about estimation and data fusion.
- Have basic knowledge about simple control algorithms and process control.
- Have knowledge about time and synchronization.
- The student should be able to program a medium size data acquisition task using LabVIEW.
Admission to the course
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Maximum 40 students due to the laboratory capacity. If ranking is needed FYS3240 and 4240 would offer admission to 25 and 15 students respectively.
Recommended previous knowledge
- FYS1210 – Elementary Electronics with Project Work
- IN1000 – Introduction to Object-oriented Programming/IN1900 – Introduction to Programming with Scientific Applications
- 10 credits overlap with FYS3240 – Data Acquisition and Control.
The course extends over a full semester with 10 hours teaching per week (2 hours of lectures and 8 hours with lab access).
There are four mandatory laboratory assignments and one mandatory project assignment.
Regulations for mandatory assignments can be found here.
As the teaching involves laboratory and/or field work, you should consider taking out a separate travel and personal risk insurance. Read about your insurance cover as a student.
4 laboratory assignments and one project assignment must be approved in order to take final written exam (3 hours).
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: FYS3240 – Data Acquisition and Control
Examination support material
Language of examination
Subjects taught in English will only offer the exam paper in English.
You may write your examination paper in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: