KJM5230 – Bioactive Molecules
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Teaching and exams spring 2022
In light of the most recent infection control regulations, we will at the start of the spring semester 2022 increase our online teaching, while we at the same time try to maintain in-person teaching where this is possible. We hope to go back to more in-person teaching later on in the semester. You will be informed about any changes in teaching or examinations on the semester page, in Canvas or through your regular channels.
Read more about postponed exams for the autumn semester 2021.
The subject is an advanced course in organic chemistry emphasizing the chemistry of low molecular weight bioactive molecules including natural products; their biological mechanisms of action, ADME properties and general aspects of drug design. The subject is suitable for Ms students in organic chemistry and related areas.
After completion of the course, you:
- can recognize the important classes of low molecular weight natural products and are able to describe their biosynthetic pathways
- are familiar with general aspects of drug design
- understand and are able to explain how drugs can exert their activity by interaction with receptors and enzymes
- understand and are able to explain the important pathways for metabolism of xenobiotics
- know the important classes of antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral drugs and understand their mechanisms of action
- know the important classes of anticancer drugs and understand their mechanisms of action
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with KJM9230 – Bioactive Molecules.
The teaching includes 20 hours of lectures and 10 hours of group exercises.
Within August 10th / January 10th, international students must inform the the Department of Chemistry if English teaching is requested. Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. You will lose your place in the course if you do not inform the student administration at the Department of Chemistry before the first lecture starts.
- Final oral exam, which counts 100% towards the final grade.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses: KJM9230 – Bioactive Molecules
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: