FYS5810 – Physics Education in Practice
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
Autumn 2020 we plan for teaching and examinations to be conducted as described in the course description and on semester pages. However, changes may occur due to the corona situation. You will receive notifications about any changes at the semester page and/or in Canvas.
Spring 2020: Teaching and examinations was digitilized. See changes and common guidelines for exams at the MN faculty spring 2020.
«Physics Education in Practice» is a course specifically developed for the science teacher education Master's degree programme at the University of Oslo and is offered to students specializing in physics teaching. The course is targeted at training candidates to teach in the optional physics subject in Norwegian upper secondary school (years 12 and 13). This course gives candidates practical experience with planning, designing, performing, and reflecting on teaching and learning activities in physics. The course involves theoretical components as well as practice components in upper secondary school classrooms, hereunder experimental/laboratory work with students.
After completing this course, you:
- can develop and carry out teaching and learning sequences for physics in upper secondary school, with durations from single lessons up to longer sequences
- have experience with a variety of teaching strategies in physics for upper secondary school
- master meeting students’ challenges when learning physics
- have experience with planning and conducting laboratory work/demonstrations/programming activities with physics students in upper secondary school
- can design and justify physics teaching based on professional didactic insight as well as practical experience
- can take advantage of and critically reflect on academic and research literature related to teaching and learning in physics.
Admission to the course
This course is only for students admitted to Realfag (studieretning).
Formal prerequisite knowledge
- PROF1015 – Profesjonsidentitet, læring og undervisning
- PROF3025 – Ledelse av elevers læring
- PROF4045 – Tilrettelegging for elevers læring
- PPU3310L – PPU del 1 av 2: Undervisning og læringsforløp (discontinued)
- PPU3220 – PPU del 2 av 2: Vurdering og tilpasset opplæring
or similar courses.
In addition the following courses are required:
- AST1010 – Astronomy - a Cosmic Journey
- FYS-MEK1110 – Mechanics
- FYS1120 – Electromagnetism
- FYS2140 – Quantum Physics
- FYS2160 – Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
- FYS3810 – Physics Education Research and Practice or FYS2150L – Practical work in physics education (discontinued)
Attendance at the first lecture is mandatory. If you are unable to attend, the Department of Physics email@example.com has to be informed no later than the same day, or else you will lose your place in the course.
The course runs for 8 weeks (in the second half of the semester) including practice in an upper secondary school.
Four hours of teaching weekly in the form of interactive seminars where students present plans for, and reflect on the outcome of, the teaching in their school placement period. Research literature from the course syllabus is also presented (by instructor and/or students) and discussed during sessions. Mandatory assignments in the form of for instance presentations and lesson plans must be approved before you can sith the final exam.
Practice will be varied and supervised and altogether amounts to 7,5 full days including preparations and reflection sessions. Practice will preferably take place at one of the upper secondary school in the University of Oslo network. Practice, and teaching directly related to practice, is mandatory and must be approved before you can sit the final exam.
As the teaching involves laboratory and/or field work, you should consider taking out a separate travel and personal risk insurance. Read about your insurance cover as a student.
- Final oral exam which counts 100% towards the finale grade.
Mandatory practise and assignments must be approved before you can sit the finale exam.
Examination support material
No examination support material is allowed.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in Norwegian. You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a pass/fail scale. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: