KJM5310 – BIOCAT - Biomolecular Structure and Function
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
Changes in the course due to coronavirus
As a general rule, exams at the MN Faculty will during the autumn of 2021 be conducted without physical attendance. For reasons relating to the course content, some courses will have on-campus written examination if the current infection rate makes this possible.
The semester page for your course will be updated with any changes in the form of examination. See also more information about examination at the MN Faculty in 2021.
This course offers a thorough introduction to structural biology. It is up to date, covering structures at the cutting edge of current research. The focus is on protein structure and function, but carbohydrates and nucleic acids will also be covered. In addition, the course provides an introduction to experimental methods for structure determination and structure prediction.
After completing the course, you shall:
- know the structures of the most important types of biomolecules and their architectural principles
- have a fundamental understanding of the relation between structure and function
- learn the different protein classification systems and obtain more detailed knowledge of enzymes, motor proteins, viral proteins, immunoproteins, amyloids and prions, membrane proteins, and large biomolecular complexes such as fatty acid synthase and the ribosome
- get an introduction to experimental methods for 3D structure determination, protein folding, and structure prediction
- learn how to make professional pictures of biomolecules
- read original scientific articles and present them orally in English for your fellow students
Admission to the course
Students admitted at UiO must apply for courses in Studentweb. Students enrolled in other Master's Degree Programmes can, on application, be admitted to the course if this is cleared by their own study programme.
Nordic citizens and applicants residing in the Nordic countries may apply to take this course as a single course student.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Recommended previous knowledge
- 10 credits overlap with KJM9310 – BIOCAT - Biomolecular Structure and Function.
- 10 credits overlap with KJ434.
The course comprises 28 lecture hours, 16 hours of mandatory exercises, and a compulsory literature task to be presented orally. The mandatory literature task must be approved before you can the exam.
The first lecture is mandatory. If you are unable to attend, you must notify the student administration at the Department of Chemistry before the first lecture starts.
- Final oral exam which counts 100 % towards the final grade.
This course has a mandatory exercise that must be approved before you can take the final exam
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following course: KJM9130
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.