FARM4130 – Applied Statistics for Pharmacists
The course will provide an introduction to applied statistics - how numbers and data should be organized and understood, and how to draw conclusions from them.
After completing the course:
- you have received a general introduction to statistical description of numbers, distributions and probabilities
- you are familiar with a number of relevant statistical and epidemiological methods including parametric and non-parametric tests, and regression models for numerical and binomial data
- you are able to choose the correct statistical method and make use of a suitable computer-program within the main areas statistical experiment design, experimental laboratory work, clinical trials and epidemiological studies
- you can understand, interpret and reflect critical over the results from statistical analyses
Admission to the course
The course is only available to students enrolled at the Department of Pharmacy at the University of Oslo.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Passed the compulsory HSE-courses HMS0501 – Safety and Physical Environment, HMS0502 – Positive Learning Environment, HMS0503 – Laboratory Safety, HMS0506 – Patient Clinic Safety and HMS0507 – Fire Safety required for students at the 5-year Master`s Program in Pharmacy.
Laws and regulations describing the overall learning outcome regulate the pharmacy programme. Exemptions for courses are only granted if the overall learning outcome is covered.
- 8 credits overlap with FRM4110 – Applied statistics for pharmacists (discontinued).
- 8 credits overlap with STK1000 – Introduction to Applied Statistics.
- 8 credits overlap with STK1005 – Introduction to applied statisics B (discontinued).
The course is adapted for distance learning. The teaching consist of video lectures and teamwork with computerized problem solving with local guidance or via a chat function.
- 30 hours lecture
- 40 hours of other student-active teaching, including seminars / colloquia, and arithmetic exercises
Submission and approval of compulsory assignments is a prerequisite for the student to be able to attend the written exam.
Access to teaching
A student who has completed compulsory instruction and coursework and has had these approved, is not entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework. A student who has been admitted to a course, but who has not completed compulsory instruction and coursework or had these approved, is entitled to repeat that instruction and coursework, depending on available capacity.
Compulsory participation and approved assignments are valid for 3 years.
Final home exam, which counts 100 % towards the finale grade.
This course has mandatory exercises that must be approved before you can sit the finale exam.
When writing your exercises, make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules for use of sources and citations.
Breach of these rules may lead to suspicion of attempted cheating.
It will also be counted as one of the three attempts to sit the exam for this course, if you sit the exam for one of the following courses:
- STK1000 – Introduction to Applied Statistics
- STK1005 – Introduction to applied statisics B (discontinued)
- FRM4110 – Applied statistics for pharmacists (discontinued)
Examination support material
Students may use any aids they require.
Language of examination
The examination text is given in Norwegian. You may submit your response in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Resit an examination
This course offers both postponed and resit of examination. Read more: