A number of preparations must be made before you book a trip.
- All travel must have the prior approval of your manager with budget allocation authority. See Government travel allowance scale for domestic travel section 1 paragraph 2 and Government travel allowance scale for international travel section 1 paragraph 2 (lovdata.no) (Norwegian).
- In most cases, an oral agreement will suffice. Check with your manager if you are unsure how this is handled at your unit.
- Some units have their own guidelines:
- ARENA Centre for European Studies: Complete the travel application form (word).
- Department of Social Antropology (SAI): Notify firstname.lastname@example.org about your absence. If your absence impacts your work duties you must also have the travel approved by the Head of Department.
- Natural History Museum (NHM): Complete the travel approval form (word).
- USIT: Send a written application for business travel to your section manager. You can send it via e-mail. For international travel and for travel that will cost more than NOK 10 000 attach a cost estimate. International travel also requires the approval/signature of the IT Director. You also need to remember to write a travel report if you take part in conferences and the like on behalf of USIT.
- Apply for financial support, where relevant. Check if there are any relevant funding sources at your unit, or contact your manager to find out your options.
- A credit card should be used to pay for business travel and all types of business-related expenses. UiO has an agreement with Eurocard Corporate Gold, which is a payment card for which all employees have personal liability. The card is free of charge and provides the option of postponed payment.
- How to apply for Eurocard Corporate Gold (log in required),
- Travel that is paid for with the card is covered by Eurocard’s travel insurance.
- Register your credit card details in the HR portal to avoid manual registration of your business expenses or waiting for the invoice from Eurocard before submitting a travel expenses claim.
How to apply for credit cards
- Have your UiO employee number and BankID available. You can find your employee number on your payslip in the HR portal, see the user guide.
Note: Credit card transactions will not be imported into the HR portal if the employee number is missing.
- Register your UiO email address on Eurocard's application portal (eurocard.no) and complete the online application form.
Note: Since the card basically is an ordinary personal credit card, but with the annual fee payed by and the conditions customized to UiO, you will be asked to disclose your annual gross income, wealth, the overall debt of your household, your main bank connection and other credit cards you might dispose of.
- Sign your Application electronically by using BankID or Bypass. If you do not have the opportunity to sign electronically, press the alternative that you will sign manually. Manually signed applications can be sent by ordinary mail as described in the application, or by e-mail to email@example.com.
- Based on your application, Eurocard conducts a personal credit check.
Note: The result will only be communicated to the credit card company and yourself, not to UiO.
- Register your credit card details in the HR portal to ensure that transactions are made available for travel and expense reimbursements.
Do you already have a credit card through UiO?
Old credit cards issued by Diners Club, DNB and American Express through UiO should be discontinued as UiO no longer has any agreements with these card issuers. Apply for a new Eurocard.
Contact the Eurocard customer service (eurocard.no) (Norwegian) to ask any questions you have about your credit card.
All travel must be booked through Egencia. You need a profile to be able to book. When you log in for the first time, a profile will automatically be created for you, but you must update it yourself with the correct information, such as your credit card details.
All travel bookings must be linked to your UiO e-mail address, and this address must be included in your profile.
- Log in using your UiO username and password.
- Click on the arrow beside your name at the top right corner. Click the “Profile” link that appears. You can then edit your profile under the various menu options at the top of the screen. Note: Don't enter any information into the password fields, your UiO login is already activated!
- A profile will automatically be created for you where payment is by credit card. You therefore need to enter your credit card details. Apply for a credit card if you do not have one. See below for alternative payment methods.
- Make any necessary changes, and remember to save them.
According to UiO's guidelines for travel, credit card is the preferred payment method, and your credit card is charged through your Egencia profile. If you cannot use a credit card for any reason, you can apply to have an invoice profile in the Egencia system.
Application for invoice profile
Invoice profiles are only assigned with the approval of your manager with budget allocation authority. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org asking to change to an invoice profile, and attach a signed confirmation (pdf) form from your manager indicating approval for an invoice profile.
It may take a few days for a new profile to be created. If the travel booking is urgent, you can use invoicing as a payment method on this occasion only by contacting Egencia’s travel consultants and booking your trip as a guest:
- Opening hours: Monday–Friday 8.00 am–5.00 pm
- (+47) 23 15 04 40
UiO only provides advances in exceptional cases. See the web page about travel advances for information about how to avoid needing a travel advance, and possibly to find out whether the trip you are planning qualifies for an advance.
- Use of your own vehicle must be approved in advance by your employer. Check with your manager with budget allocation authority (BDM) if you need to complete an approval form (word) or if an oral agreement will suffice.
- For every stretch driven, the date, starting point, destination, number of kilometres and names of any passengers must be specified on the travel expenses claim.
- For compensation see Section 6 of the Government Travel Allowance Scale (Norwegian) (regjeringen.no).
Stays abroad require special planning and a number of practical preparations, especially if you are staying for a longer period and your partner and children will accompany you. See the checklist for helpful advice and tips about stays abroad.