GEO4240 - Seismic interpretation
- Basic principles of the seismic method and seismic interpretation
- 3D seismic reflection data: Introduction, structural and stratigraphic interpretation, reservoir identification and evaluation, horizon and formation attributes, visualization
- Exercises in structural and stratigraphic interpretation of 2D seismic data
- Interactive interpretation of 3D seismics on work station
At the end of the course the students have theoretical and practical experience in 2D/3D seismic interpretation and are introduced to modern interpretation techniques/tools.
Students at UiO must apply for courses in StudentWeb.
International applicants, if you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures for international applicants.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
- Lecturs and practical exercises (3-6 hours per week)
- Compulsory project report
Exercises and Project work 40%, Final written exam 60%. All part exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
Exam questions will be in English.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
External auditor: Rolf Mjelde
Explanations and appeals
You may request an explanation of your grades, and you may also appeal against your grades or make a complaint about formal examination errors. Read more about explanations and appeals.
Resit an examination
You can usually resit an exam, but the conditions depend on whether you had a valid reason for absence from the regular exam. Read more about resitting an exam.
Withdrawal from an examination
A student may sit this exam up to 3 times. If a student wishes to withdraw from the exam, s/he must do so in StudentWeb at least two weeks prior to the first day of the exam. Failure to do so will be counted as one of the three opportunities to sit the exam.
Special examination arrangements
If you have a disability or a health problem that entails significant inconvenience in an examination situation, you may be considered for special examination arrangements. Mothers who are breastfeeding may apply for extra time to complete the exam.