GEO4240 - Seismic interpretation
Schedule, syllabus and examination date
- Basic principles of the seismic method and seismic interpretation
- 3D seismic reflection data: Introduction, structural and stratigraphic interpretation, reservoir identification and evaluation, horizon and formation attributes, visualization
- Exercises in structural and stratigraphic interpretation of 2D seismic data
- Interactive interpretation of 3D seismics on work station
At the end of the course the students have theoretical and practical experience in 2D/3D seismic interpretation and are introduced to modern interpretation techniques/tools.
Students who are admitted to study programmes at UiO must each semester register which courses and exams they wish to sign up for in Studentweb.
If you are not already enrolled as a student at UiO, please see our information about admission requirements and procedures.
Formal prerequisite knowledge
Recommended previous knowledge
- Lecturs and practical exercises (3-6 hours per week)
- Compulsory project report
Attendance at the first lecture is compulsory. Students who fail to meet, are considered to have withdrawn from the course unless they have previously given notice to the Studies administration, email address: email@example.com
Exercises and Project work 40%, Final written exam 60%. All part exams must be passed in order to pass the course.
Exam questions will be in English.
Language of examination
In this course any written exam questions or assignment questions may be available in English only.
Grades are awarded on a scale from A to F, where A is the best grade and F is a fail. Read more about the grading system.
Explanations and appeals
Resit an examination
Students who can document a valid reason for absence from the regular examination are offered a postponed examination at the beginning of the next semester.
Re-scheduled examinations are not offered to students who withdraw during, or did not pass the original examination.
Withdrawal from an examination
It is possible to take the exam up to 3 times. If you withdraw from the exam after the deadline or during the exam, this will be counted as an examination attempt.
Special examination arrangements
Application form, deadline and requirements for special examination arrangements.